#ROOTS2016 More gears!
I simply need some more gears for the trip. Maybe this is coming from my never-ending fear of not being enough prepared.
First mission in Hong Kong is to buy the following:
- 1x MacBook Pro 13″ Unibody (Mid 2009 to Mid 2012) Battery. I need a MacBook Pro 13″ Unibody Early 2011 Battery Replacement. (Apple Model #: A1322 – Power Rating: 5500-5800 mAh – Watt Hours (Wh): 63.5)
1x SD and CF cards’ case
- several SD and CF cards
- 2x USB3 Hard Drives
EF Lense for my EOS 1d mark ii n CANON batteries NP-E3and…
UPDATE - 2016, May 05
I don’t need the CF cards, the CANON batteries NP-E3 nor the EF lense since… I did not bring the EOS 1d mark ii n and instead, I brought the Lomography Diana Mini (Here is a presentation of the bigger Diana model.). Why? I got convinced, that instead of trying to do too many ambitious things, I should prioritize and choose fewer objectives while travelling. Photography is not my main goal and the extra equipment adds up to my already long list of gears that I bring along… So film light cheap camera seems to be a challenge that I accept! And also helps me concentrate on what is important to me during this trip! More on that later.
I bought myself some SD cards and hard drives. I am still looking for an extra “jobby gorilla pod” type of tripod and a case to protect my sd cards along the way. I could put my hand on a battery replacement for my laptop (not an original apple one, but it should work even if it is not the best – it was cheaper to find and also easier to get).
I checked a few of the camera gears shops listed below and will let you know asap my opinion. Stay tuned.
Check Peter Stewart’s blog article: Buying New and Second Hand Camera Gear in Hong Kong
- Wing Shing Photo – 57 Sai Yeung Choi Street, Mongkok – usually go here first when shopping for lenses and always come back as they generally have the best prices.
- Tin Cheung Camera Main store: Shop 301, 3/F, K11, 18 Hanoi Road Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon – offers both local and grey import stock so always ask if there is a price difference between the two if warranty is not a concern. One other big advantage is they have an English website: http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk
- Also in Mongkok, you can find the big three big electronics store giants branched close together; Fortress, Broadway & Sunning. – http://www.fortress.com.hk/en/home/ – https://www.broadway.com.hk/eshop – http://www.cnsuning.com.hk/eng/
- Cam2 Flagship Store – Shop 230, Star Annex, 2nd Floor, Star House, No.3 Salisbury Road, Kowloon – http://cam2.com.hk Cam2 Mongkok Store – Mong Kok Yau Shing Commercial Centre (9/f) 51 Sai Yeung Choi Street South – http://cam2.com.hk – great place to check out for competitive pricing on brand new accessories such as tripods, bags and filters. They are also well known for their range of Sony cameras as well as supposedly having the largest range of Sigma lenses available.
- Echo Photo – Shop D, G/F, Hanyee Building, 19-21 Hankow Road, Tsim Sha Tsui – http://www.echophotoaudio.com/en/ – Keep in mind that not much is on display in this shop, so you may need to ask for a quote.
Indonesia, mainland China & Singapore
Not sure I will look for anything there in terms of geek shopping…